Drilling out Exhaust Manifold Bolts

If you are having a problem with your car, post your question here.

Moderator: MISSL_BoD

Drilling out Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Postby G Waineo » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:17 pm

I need to drill out the rear most two exhaust manifold bolts on the drivers side of the Roadmaster. It looks like removing the intermediate steering shaft will give me the access I need. I am not sure what the best way to get the shaft out is. Can anyone help?

Also, the used manifold I am planning to install os about .006 inches out from flat, between the center flange and the rear flange. Will the GM gasket seal ok? Should I look at an aftermarket gasket?

Thanks
Glenn
ImageImage
'94 Roadmaster Wagon tow vehicle
'92 Roadmaster Wagon (sold)
'95 Impala SS DGGM
G Waineo
High 10's

Re: Drilling out Exhaust Manifold Bolts

Postby Pat Smith » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

The trick I use if there is still part of bolt at top of boss is go straight for the welder! You can weld to the end of broken bolt and it won't stick to the head cast iron or aluminum. I recently did this with 3 broken bolts on 94 wagon. I usually try to weld a flat washer on to end of stud then weld a nut to washer. By then it's hot enough to walk out. But you will need a welder. You also can't damage threads by drilling off center. It works great. And gives you an excuse to buy a welder.
Pat Smith
Low 7's

Postby beertestr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:14 pm

By the time you torque the manifold down you should be fine. The mls gasket will manage that gap. Aftermarket graphites will do it for sure, but they don't hold torque since they will compress over time, so you will have to remember to retorque.
Michael
79 Caprice Coupe 6.0 - 11's..
99 Ultra Classic
89 Softail
beertestr
MISSL President

Postby G Waineo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Pat, Unfortunately, they are both broke off flush. I'm gonna do the drill and tap deal. Thanks

Mike, I got the GM gaskets so I'll give them a try. Thanks
Glenn
ImageImage
'94 Roadmaster Wagon tow vehicle
'92 Roadmaster Wagon (sold)
'95 Impala SS DGGM
G Waineo
High 10's

Postby Pat Smith » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:46 pm

If it's visible and you can get the welder tip to it and build it up, you can weld to it enough to get it hot and turn out if you have enough of a weld "booger" on it.
Pat Smith
Low 7's

Return to My B-Body Problem